Stourport SCITT is the longest established school based training provider in Worcestershire. We are able to offer bespoke school-led teacher training courses which gives you the chance to learn ‘on the job’ in our network of schools across Herefordshire, Shropshire and Worcestershire. As a trainee teacher, you will work as part of the teaching team from day one, learning from experienced, practising colleagues and immediately put your new skills into practice whilst being fully immersed in the school environment.
Our school-led teacher training courses last a year and lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) plus a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) with 60 masters-level credits on successful completion. The masters credits are awarded by Birmingham City University (BCU. All training with BCU is held in our training centre in Stourport so no additional travelling is needed, and all trainees are able to use the library at BCU should they need to.
Key reasons to choose SCITT:
- Excellent track record for Newly Qualified Teachers (NQTs)gaining 100% employment upon completion of the Stourport SCITT Course for the past 3 years. Many of these teaching positions are found within our partner school network which demonstrates the confidence that headteachers have in the quality of the Stourport SCITT training programmes.
- Trainees awarded Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) begin their careers as newly qualified teachers with positive attitudes and the skills and abilities necessary to develop into very effective teachers.
- Primary and secondary training placements across the three counties of Herefordshire, Shropshire and Worcestershire, not just in Stourport.
- You are part of a team from the start and receive intensive support from experienced teachers in the classroom. You won’t be teaching classes unsupported until the school thinks you are ready.
- To become a qualified teacher, you have to take training placements in two schools. So whether you want to become a Primary or Secondary teacher you will have two placements and will spend time in other schools too.
- You will attend 3 training blocks, throughout your year (comparable to the university-led route). You will also be invited to regular twilight training sessions to network with other trainees and work with key staff to develop your skills.
- Teachers training teachers: High-quality school-based training, which uses the expertise of teachers to help trainees to develop a good understanding of the subjects that they are training to teach.
- Trainees and NQTs are proud to be associated with the Stourport SCITT. They are highly positive about their experience as they feel that it prepares them well for a career in teaching.
- All trainees who achieved QTS in 2016 successfully completed the PGCE course with Birmingham City University.
- SCITT financial support is the same as for the traditional university-led path. Visit our Current Trainee Resources page to view our finance document.
- Read our latest Ofsted Report here.
|‘The Stourport High School and VIth Form has proved itself to be one of the best schools in the country at improving GCSE outcomes for their students. There is plenty that other schools could learn from The Stourport High School and VIth Form’s success.’|
|Sue Williamson, Chief Executive of SSAT|
What do our trainees think?
‘It was great to get straight into the classroom at the start of term and meet the children. We were all new to the school together.’
‘I loved taking part in the Christmas Concert. The staff and students had worked so hard. I’m glad I was still in my placement school the last week of term.’
‘To the Stourport SCITT I’m a person not just another trainee.’
‘We wanted to set up a network group, the Stourport SCITT listened and now we meet once a fortnight.’
‘All of the training is delivered in Stourport, which really helps with my childcare.’
Case Studies on Stourport SCITT Trainees
We are so proud of our trainees and their achievements, and so to inspire you to follow in their footsteps and realise your potential, grab a coffee and take a look at their stories.
The Stourport SCITT works in partnership with the Stourport Teaching School Alliance, and the lead school is:
The Stourport High School & VIth Form College, Minster Road, Stourport on Severn, Worcestershire DY13 8AX.
Here is a message from our Principal, Mr Chris King:
Thank for taking the time to look at our web site and find out a bit more about what we do. The Stourport Teaching School Alliance was founded by a like-minded group of schools with the sole aim of improving life chances for young people by training and developing the latest generation of teachers and staff supporting schools. We are the longest established truly School Centred Initial Teacher Training (SCITT) provider in Worcestershire and are privileged to have highly skilled, well qualified and committed staff that contribute, with our partners, to high quality training and development.
The Stourport High School & VIth Form College is an Academy for students aged 11 to 18 and is situated in Worcestershire with close access to and the midlands via the M5 and M42 and with quick access to Shropshire and Herefordshire. We are a comprehensive school and judged outstanding in all of our inspections since 2009. The outcomes we gain and the success we have is based on the development of the people that work in our organisation and alliance, our teachers, leaders and support staff. Collectively they are our biggest resource and make the difference in ensuring students make the progress they do.
Teaching and learning is our core business and being a teaching school is very important to us. We apply cutting edge approaches to teaching and learning – rather like being a teaching hospital. Not only do we constantly explore new ideas and techniques for making learning exciting, engaging and fun, but we also train the teachers of tomorrow. The vast majority of our teachers are trained as ‘Mentors’ – guiding, supporting and assessing trainee colleagues as they move towards achieving professional teaching status. We work with a number of local secondary and primary schools to provide high quality teacher training. Trainee teachers will be assigned a placement in two different schools and will also visit others as part of on-going across phase observations.
It is an exciting time for our schools’ partnership as we look to develop and nurture the next generation of teachers. The Stourport SCITT and our partner schools will use our complementary skills and experience to provide a unique blend of training, professional advice, support and research. We know that we can improve the grades that our students achieve and their life chances too, if we continue to work within school and with other schools and universities to continually improve the quality of learning and teaching that we offer.
Our goal is to maintain a commitment to improving the quality of teaching and learning in the local area and collaboration with our local and regional partners is the key to this. We believe that the modelling of best practice, using experienced practitioners, promotes school based provision that is outstanding in nature.
As an established teaching school we are able to respond to national priorities and local need and pride ourselves on our innovative and self-evaluating approach. We encourage our partners to become involved in our SCITT provision, but only in so far as they have capacity to do so. We have shown, through management, collaboration and vision that we can respond to the needs of our strategic partners and our trainees, without compromising quality.
If you are a potential new entrant to our profession, please contact us at email@example.com and we will endeavour to help you along the pathway to truly school centred teacher training.”
Mr C King MSc, PGCE, NPQH